Laparoscopic surgery also referred as Keyhole surgery is the performance of surgical procedures with the support of video camera and many thin instruments. The camera transmits an image of the organs inside onto a television camera. Laparoscopic surgery has revolutionized the field of surgery in recent times. Due to its numerous benefits, it has gained worldwide popularity in the field of medicine. The recent introduction of Robotic Laparoscopic surgery is also gaining popularity.
Laparoscopic surgery is used to perform various operations like Hernia, Appendix, Uterus removal operation, ovarian cyst operation, gall bladder related operations etc.
Laparoscopy minimizes surgical trauma for the benefit of the patient.
1) Less post-operative pain. As this procedure is carried out by making small incisions, there is very less post-operative pain as compared to open surgery.
2) Shorter hospital stay. In Laparoscopic surgery, patients are not required to spend longer duration in hospital as required by general surgery.
3) Faster return to activity. The patients can return back to their routine activities at a faster rate as compared to traditional surgical method.
4) Lower risk of surgical site infection.
5) Lower risk of incisional hernia.
1) High cost and technology requirement.
2) Special skills required for its use.
3) Not suitable to perform complicated surgeries.
4) May need secondary open surgery.
1) Avoid driving a vehicle during the first 48 hours as there may be drowsiness due to anesthesia effect.
2) Not to take bath or shower within the first 48 hours of surgery.
3) Not to do cycling or jogging or even sexual intercourse.
4) Not to do swimming during the first two days of the surgery.
5) Drink lot of fluids in order to prevent dehydration.